Romano’s first shop
Romano business card
The Romano Group was founded as a one man business in 1952 by the late Romanos Romano, widely regarded as one of the pioneers of the South African signage industry.
Romanos’ flair for design and willingness to take on any job led to a steady growth in the business. Initially the focus was signwriting, however soon the company started producing “5-by-2’s” (5-feet long and 2 feet high under-awning signs with fluorescent lamp illumination).
Over the years the company always stayed abreast with the latest technologies available to the signage industry and adopted these into the business. These included fluorescent and neon-illuminated signs (1950’s); engraving, acrylic fabrication and moulding (1960’s); screen printing and metal fabrication (1970’s); CAD/CAM – including computerised router and vinyl cutting (1980’s); digital printing (1990’s); and LED and ECG-based fluorescent illumination (2000’s).
In recent years, based on the needs of Romano’s client base and the company’s internal strengths, the company expanded its product range to include the following categories: PV Solar Energy, Signage (including Print and POP), LED Lighting and Modular Construction. Although Romanos Romano missed the technological changes taking place after his passing in 1993, his son Alexi Romano (the Romano Group’s current CEO) credits much of the growth and success of the business to the “incredible energy and passion” of his late father.